Friday, October 7, 2011

Round 2

A Journal Entry:
Well Thursday morning we drove to Salt Lake to the Huntsman Institute with Josh's parents for treatment.
When we first arrived they did blood work. Josh's blood count was good. The Doctor was very happy to see how much the lumps on his neck has gone down!
They had to do his first spinal tap (Lumbar puncture). This was to collect a sample of spinal fluid and replace that fluid with chemo which will go to the lining of the brain. Since the cancer is in his bones, it can more easily travel to other parts of the body such as the brain. This is why they will to the spinal tap with each cycle of chemo. As a precaution. With the spinal fluid sample we will find out if there are any "bad" cells. The spinal tap was tough, but Josh is even tougher. His back has been quite sore as well as a spinal headache.
Right after that he went to do the rest of his chemotherapy.
Thursday night Josh had a fever. They told me I have to watch his temperature very closely. If he gets even 100.5 I have to call them immediately. He was at 102.2 He was able to come down from that temperature fairly quickly. He also had the shivers.
Josh's hair has started to come out easily. You just pull and out comes a big chunk. He's taking it really well. I know this is all a hard process on him, but he knows he has to do what he has to do.
Friday morning bright and early we were back to the Huntsman bone marrow transplant unit. We were given a lot of information. I'm not sure of everything, but this is what I know. After the 4th or 5th cycle of chemo they will do more tests...bone marrow biopsy and pet scan. Ideally there will be no more cancer cells and then they would start giving Josh a stem cell growth shot everyday to grow and harvest his own cells. I'm not sure how many days they will do that. It's hard to remember everything. From there they will go forth with the bone marrow stem cell transplant from his own body. He will be in the hospital during this time. He will be staying over night for quite sometime. 3-4 weeks at minimum. If that doesn't work, then they will start looking into other options.
We are thankful to be at a place with such wonderful care. We are thankful to be in the process. We are really learning to take it day by day, moment by moment. I have learned at times that takes focus and discipline. When my mind starts to think further into the future, it's like I'm making up my own stories, when I don't know exactly how things will go. That's when I start feeling scared or sad. So the best thing I can do is just focus on right now. That's the easiest way for me to stay positive. Not only that, but the beauty all around me. Family and friends. My heart is beyond full with thankfulness. We have had so much love and support given to us. Prayer. So thankful for the many prayers that have been given for us. Those prayers keep us at peace and happy.  We are thankful for life! What an awakening experience! I truly have always LOVED life! And I truly do feel and believe I have always been grateful for life. But wow, I feel that gratitude even stronger! EVERY DAY IS A GIFT!
The quote above by Marjorie Pay Hinckley, is truly how I am living my days (to the best of my ability)!
"Make Every Obstacle an Opportunity."
Receiving Chemo
Spinal Tap (Lumbar Puncture)
                                                                     






4 comments:

  1. Keep being strong guys! Megs you are doing amazing! I think about you guys all the time, We are praying for you! I am so happy you started a blog though it is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hang in there we're thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the updates, You guys are so strong... Keep staying positive and again, make sure you let me know of anything you need! Love ya:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You two are so amazing! Keep staying strong, both inside and out! My thoughts and prayers are with you!

    ReplyDelete