Thursday, January 19, 2012

Stronger!

Everyday Josh is getting a little bit stronger. It seemed like after Thanksgiving he was getting continually weaker each day. Now that they have started this new treatment, he is progressing each day, and getting a little bit stronger each day. He has come a long ways since he was on the ventilator.
On Monday they released him from the ICU! He's still admitted in the hospital, but it sure felt good to be sent down to the 4th floor! 




************************************



 We felt so much joy when Josh responded to commands. He wiggled his toes! He gave our hands a squeeze! He gave a thumbs up! We cheered and cheered when they took the ventilator out! We cheered when we heard his first words! We cheered when he brushed his teeth by himself! We cheered when, with the help of 2 nurses, Josh got out of bed and stood on his own two feet! We cheered when he sat in the chair a full day. We cheered when he didn't have to use the bed pan anymore. We cheered when he didn't have to use the commode anymore. We cheered when they took out his feeding tube. We cheered when they lowered the amount of oxygen he needed. We cheered when his blood pressure stayed stable. We cheered when he took his first steps and made it to the door and back to bed. We cheered even more when he made it to the hall way. We cheered when he was able to sit in the sun! He was in heaven! We cheered when they sent us from the high ICU to the intermediate ICU. 
We cheered when they sent us out of the ICU. We cheered when they took off the heart and blood pressure monitors. We cheer as we see Josh's strides (as we walks) getting longer, stronger, sturdier. We cheer with every loop Josh walks around the hall way. We cheer when Josh gets some sleep. We cheer when Josh eats good. We cheered when the Dr. said he didn't need to wear any oxygen anymore. We cheer because our Doctors and Nurses work so very hard for our behalf. We cheer because our Doctors cheer with us.
We cheer as we feel every prayer sent up in our behalf. We cheer with every text message, card, letter of support we receive. We cheer because of so many phone calls and voicemails. We cheer because of the love that is being showered onto us.  
We cheer as we make goals to follow the countless examples of service. We cheer because we are learning what's truly important. 

January 10th.
Getting Stronger


January 11
First walk making it all the way to the carpet!
Getting Stronger



January 12
Getting Stronger

January 13
Sleeping with his lovely face mask! Anything to make the room dark!
Eating a big, yummy, high in calorie, cheesy chili hot dog!
The doctors want him to eat as many calories as he can!
Ok ok, I ate one too.....
Getting Stronger



January 14
Getting Stronger


January 15
I got him a Livestrong shirt!
Getting Stronger
January 16th
Moved out of the the ICU and onto the 4th floor!
Getting Stronger


January 17th
A walk to the hall, enjoying the sun.
Getting Stronger
January 17th
Getting a massage and laying on the couch!
Getting Stronger




January 18
Working with the Occupational Therapist
A kiss from sissy Linsey and the wifey
Linsey came and stayed with us Monday through Wednesday!
Getting Stronger

January 18
Four laps around the hall!
Getting Stronger!


January 18
Cookie ice cream sandwich!
490 calories!
Getting Stronger



15 comments:

  1. YAY!! I am so happy he is getting stronger! We pray for you guys every single night!! Keep being strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan,

    I don't personally know you but I came across your blog and it truly inspires me. I couldn't refrain myself from at least commenting and telling you, "thank you." every time you post, I get all eager to hear how Josh is doing. I want you to know your words have strengthened me significantly. Your faith and optimistic attitude is exemplary and I look up to you a ton...even though, I may not know you on a personal level. Thank you, Megan. You're an amazing individual with a solidity in what you believe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Megan,

    My mom commented on your last post. I'm from New Glasgow, one of the area's that Josh served in.. he was my first zone leader (he was here as zone leader when i was set apart for my mission) Thank-you for posting these updates. I check everyday to see how things are going, and I pray every morning and night for Josh, and you, and family. You really are amazing. I hope that someday you can make it here to Nova Scotia to visit! :)
    You and Josh make the absolute cutest couple!! Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks, and that you are being prayed for by probably a lot more people than you know. :)and i'm SO happy to see that Josh is making good progress! He looks so much better! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan,

    a friend of yours was telling me about Josh's story and she gave me the blog address so I could read your story. Your faith in God through all that you and your hubby has gone through is such an example to me. Your positive attitude and love for Josh is amazing and I'm so happy to see that Josh is improving everyday! I hope and pray things continue to get better and thank you for your testimony, faith and example!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! It's so good to hear he is doing so much better! Treag and I will continue to pray for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This just made me cry!! I am so so so grateful for the miracles being poured out upon you and Josh. He is so strong and he will beat this and I am just so glad he is such a fighter. And he is so blessed to have you. What an inspiration. We love you guys!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys are such incredible examples to me! You are enduring this trial "well" and Heavenly Father continually blesses you for your commitment to him and your faith. I only hope I will face my trials with this kind of determination, faith, endurance, and I'm sure.... patience. We love you guys so much, I look for your updates daily and "cheer" with you, cry with you, and laugh with you. I hope you are so very aware of the constant support from those of us who are left helpless in our busy lives but keep a constant and consistent watch on facebook and your blog for your updates! We pray for you often, I am so happy that you have felt strengthened, especially in your weakest moments. Heavenly Father will not abandon you, Christ will not abandon you, and we (I speak for everyone who knows you) will not abandon you. I hope your needs both physically, spiritually and financially are being met. I hope you let us know when they are not so we can be an answer to prayers by lifting you up in any way you need lifted. We love you!

    Jenn & Tyler Shaw family

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY!!!! I was so excited to see this update! I've prayed for you both (and in our family prayers too)and you have not been far from my mind. I think of you everyday - many, many times a day. Did I say how excited I am?!! Josh, you are looking great and much more like yourself. I love that smile. You are amazing and have been since I've known you (well I'm sure you were amazing before that:D ) It would seem that you've married an amazing woman as well - I have great admiration for you Megan. You both have so much faith and the Lord is blessing you for it.
    Keep up the great work! I'll be looking forward to the next update and praying lots.
    Lots of Love,
    Jane Anne (mimsi17@yahoo.ca)

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY! Charles and I are so glad that he is getting stronger and improving! I hope he continues and beats this!! You are both amazing examples of keeping such a positive attitude in such a trying time! Keep it up both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Megan and Josh I'm so happy! Keep getting stronger we are cheering for.you both!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This makes my day to know Josh is doing better. We think about you two all the time and pray and fast for you. Keep it up you two!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for keeping us updated! We are SOOOOO happy to hear that he is doing better! We think about you guys every day! We love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Megan, I think about you often. I look up to you in so many ways.....you are so unbelievably strong! I am so happy that he is getting stronger! I will continue to pray for you and Josh through this journey!

    Xoxo
    Amber Genta

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so happy you are continuing to see miracles! You are in the entire ward's prayers every day, and every week at church. We love you and won't stop praying!

    ReplyDelete